Saturday, September 30, 2006

 

Greenwich

Firstly my apologies for the large break between updates, at the moment I am doing 50+ hour working weeks and have been making the most of my weekends leaving precious little time to catch up. Its 10.30 Saturday morning now and I have just over 1.5 hours before I'm heading off..yet again...to Brighton. I am determined to go on the roller coaster this time.

Anyway I have being doing quite abit of stuff in and around London in the last few weeks, firstly there was our trip to Greenwich (pronounced "Gren-Ich") which is most famous for the Prime Meridian of Longitude which gives the world its time zones in Greenwich Mean time.

To get there we decided to avoid the smelly tube and instead take a guided ferry tour down the Thames.













Now this was some time ago so I can't really remember what buildings were what but, I know this here is the Meridian time line for which all time is calculated from, and where you can actually stand and have a photo taken with one foot in the eastern hemisphere and one in the western, a very popular photo opportunity with the more nerdy of tourists.





I'm pretty sure this is the Royal Observatory ->

And the view from the Observatory ->





And this is Greg and Amelia outside the National Maritime Museum ...or the Queens House, not sure which is which, the Queens house was begun in 1616 for Anne of Denmark wife of James I though not completed until 1645 and was then home to Charles I and his Queen Henrietta Maria, its now a bit of an art gallery with plenty of old paintings of Admiral Nelsons victory over Napoleon.





My favourite part of Greenwich was the Old Royal Naval College which has a banquet room known as the "Painted Hall", which is a large dining room completely covered in incredible murals by artist James Thornhill, who also painted the murals in St Pauls Cathedral (which we were't allowed to take photo's of), here however photos were allowed



and they even had black mirrors at ground level so you didn't even have to look up to view the ceilings, or have to get someone to take a photo of you infront of the murals




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?